Pop CultureTV & MoviesCelebrityBest of the InternetAnimalsMusicRewindBooksLGBTQ
ShoppingLatestHomeFashionTechBeauty & Personal CareKidsPetsSex ToysSports & FitnessStoresSubscriptionsBuzzFeed Merch
VideoLatestCocoa ButterNEW!Mom In ProgressWorth ItUnsolved True CrimeUnsolved SupernaturalMultiplayerPero LikeCocoa Butter
LifestyleAs/Is: StyleBringMe: TravelGoodful: WellnessNifty: DIYParentsFoodWeddingsSex And LoveNEW!
CommunityWhat is Community?Join Community!Featured PostsLeaderboard
From Our PartnersScience Will WinHoliday Cookie ShowdownIt's Your JourneyHey BaeBeauty & Style BuzzHolidays Make Us Feel GoodCalling All Travel LoversLA LivingNew Money Mindset
AboutAbout UsAdvertiseInvestor RelationsJobsNewslettersEditionUSUKAustraliaBrasilCanadaDeutschlandIndiaJapanLatamCalifornia residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data.Do Not Sell My Personal Information © 2022 BuzzFeed, Inc PressRSSPrivacyConsent PreferencesUser TermsAccessibility StatementAd ChoicesHelpContactSitemapBuzzFeed NewsReporting on what you care about. We hold major institutions accountable and expose wrongdoing.BuzzFeed TastySearch, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place!BuzzFeed GoodfulSelf care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life.BuzzFeed Bring MeObsessed with travel? Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me!BuzzFeed As IsSomething for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity.Celebrity·Posted 22 minutes ago
Here's What Happened In Pop Culture This Week
News this week: Fine, I'll break.by Natalie Oganesyan
If you've been keeping steady on your New Years' resolution to use less social media (aka stronger than me), chances are you've missed some celebrity news. Here's a recap of what happened this week:
1. CNN legal analyst Laura Coates reflected on being "told 'no'" when she asked for the chance to host Jeopardy! — even though the late Alex Trebek named her as a great fit for the game show.
Jean Baptiste Lacroix / WireImage / Getty Images, Amanda Edwards / Getty Images
2. In a hilarious update that just reaffirms the extent to which Andrew Garfield lied to the whole world about his involvement in Spider-Man: No Way Home, he revealed that Emma Stone — his Amazing Spider-Man costar and ex — kept texting him about his supposed appearance, which he kept denying.
Gareth Cattermole / Getty Images for Sony
Andrew after lying to everyone, including those closest to him: "And scene!"
3. But...it all could have been over for Andrew and his (honestly impressive) performance art. A DoorDash employee almost caught him in the act! As in, he delivered takeout to Andrew — and asked for his ID — right as the actor was getting settled in Atlanta for the production of No Way Home.
Amanda Edwards / Getty Images
Now, if only there was an Oscar for the longest performance outside the realms of the cinematic world...
4. Rachel Zegler was called out for posting a dramatic reading of one of Britney Spears' tweets directed at her sister Jamie Lynn. While she quickly deleted the video, it didn't stop fans from expressing their disappointment, leading the West Side Story actor to apologize.
Dominik Bindl / Getty Images
5. In exceptional news for weirdos (me) everywhere: Daniel Radcliffe has been tapped to play the Grammy-winning multihyphenate Weird Al Yankovic in a new Roku biopic! "I am absolutely thrilled that Daniel Radcliffe will be portraying me in the film," Weird Al said. "I have no doubt whatsoever that this is the role future generations will remember him for."
Anthony Harvey / Getty Images, Kevin Winter / Getty Images
This 100% tops the list of things I didn't know I needed.
6. For all the emo babies who grew up on My Chemical Romance, it's time to don the heavy eyeliner once more and rejoice! It was announced that the rock band — along with concurrent acts that raised a generation (Avril Lavigne, Pierce the Veil, Paramore, etc.) — will be coheadlining the "When We Were Young" Festival in Las Vegas in October 22, 2022.
David Wolff - Patrick / Redferns via Getty Images, Josh Brasted / WireImage / Getty Images
Listen, if you see me at Hot Topic, mind your business!
7. That, along with the news that Degrassi is officially getting a reboot set to air in 2023...it's almost too much for my angsty inner-self to take! Here's everything we know about it (sorry, no casting news as of yet)!
Stephen Scott / © CTV/Epitome Pictures / Courtesy: Everett Collection
8. Last call for those checking in to The White Lotus. Oscar-winning actor F. Murray Abraham, Adam DiMarco, Tom Hollander, and Haley Lu Richardson are set to join the second season of the hit HBO satire. They'll star alongside previously announced cast member Aubrey Plaza and possibly Jennifer Coolidge, who is rumored to reprise her role.
In an exclusive report, Variety confirmed the season will take place in Sicily. Lady Gaga is shaking (and better guest star)!
9. Jenny Slate is officially married — and she did so in secret during New Years' Eve! She was wed to art curator Ben Shattuck, after a previous three attempts to do so were derailed by the pandemic. "I like it better," she said of the ceremony, which took place in their living room and featured family and six friends each (instead of the planned 200+ guest list). "I didn't realize how the large thing was making me feel uncomfortable, a little bit."
Noam Galai / Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival
10. In more celeb couple news, Adam Rippon is married! The Olympic figure skater wed real estate Jussi-Pekka Kajaala on NYE in Los Angeles. The couple had an impromptu ceremony after previous plans didn't pan out: "We've been waiting to do it for a while and we always were like, 'Let's just go and do it and just have it be finished and we can finally be married,'" Adam said.
Amanda Edwards / WireImage / Getty Images
11. In memoriam: André Leon Talley — the pioneering Vogue editor-at-large, international fashion icon, and the magazine's first Black creative director — died at 73. Countless celebrities and designers — from Zendaya to Tom Ford, Kim Kardashian to Anna Wintour — paid tribute to and honored the renown journalist.
Taylor Hill / Getty Images
12. Also, Gaspard Ulliel — the 37-year-old award-winning French actor who stars alongside Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke in Marvel's upcoming Moon Knight — has died as a result of a ski-related accident.
Stephane Cardinale - Corbis / Corbis via Getty Images
13. Grammy-winning rock star and actor Meat Loaf — best known for his Bat Out of Hell trilogy of albums — died at the age of 74 this week. "We thank you for your understanding of our need for privacy at this time," his family said in a statement, adding, "From his heart to your souls…Don’t ever stop rocking!"
Keystone / Getty Images
Notable musicians like Cher and Andrew Lloyd Webber were among the figures who paid tribute to Meat Loaf.
14. Ian Alexander Jr. — Regina King's only son, whom she shares with her ex-husband, the record producer Ian Alexander Sr. — died by suicide at 26. "He is such a bright light who cared so deeply about the happiness of others. Our family asks for respectful consideration during this private time," King said in a statement.
Emma Mcintyre / Getty Images for LACMA
Among the celebrities who shared their condolences included Josh Gad, Missy Elliott, Kid Cudi, and more.
15. Cardi B announced she would cover the funeral expenses for the 17 victims of the devastating apartment building fire in her native Bronx. The rapper is also partnering with New York City's established fire relief fund dedicated to the effort, and will pay for émigrés' repatriation costs for those who will be buried in The Gambia. "When I heard about the fire and all of the victims, I knew I needed to do something to help," she said in a statement.
Tommaso Boddi / Getty Images for Fashion Nova
16. In an emotional Instagram video, Adele announced the postponement of her greatly anticipated Las Vegas residency a day before the first show was supposed to take place, citing positive COVID-19 cases among half her crew and delivery delays: "I'm so upset, and I'm really embarrassed, and I'm so sorry to everyone that's traveled again."
Cbs Photo Archive / CBS via Getty Images
17. Hear ye, hear ye: The first look photos for the second season of Bridgerton have arrived. Yes, they are all dazzling. Yes, Daphne is back. Yes, I cannot contain my excitement for the beautiful enemies-to-lovers pairing that will be Anthony Bridgerton (Jonathan Bailey) and Kate Sharma (Simone Ashley).
18. In a hilarious turn of events — and one decidedly not spearheaded by @ArmasUpdates on Twitter — two Ana de Armas stans have decided to sue Universal for allegedly misleading them into viewing Yesterday (that Beatles-themed rom-com, you know the one), when Ana was entirely cut from the film.
Jacopo M. Raule / Getty Images for Campari
I love Ana as much as the next person, but these two have an envious amount of time on their hands.
19. Hilary Duff finally opened up about that failed Lizzie McGuire reboot, which Disney scrapped because of its mature content. The content in question? The show would pick up with a 30-year-old Lizzie moving back in with her parents after catching her soon-to-be fiancé cheating. And THIS is risqué?
Frazer Harrison / Getty Images
There can apparently only be ONE Hilary Duff character on TV that's a 30-year-old trying to figure shit out. And it is apparently the one in How I Met Your Father.
20. Of course, on my day off, I caught wind of the wildest news: Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader are reportedly an item — and have been for an entire year! It's important to note that neither have publicly spoken on the relationship as of yet, but if (or when) they do, I will be first to note: Comedy may have peaked with this pairing.
Jon Kopaloff / FilmMagic / Getty Images, Matt Winkelmeyer / FilmMagic / Getty Images
21. Finally, Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra announced on Instagram that they've welcomed a baby via surrogate and are "overjoyed." Some eagle-eyed fans even pointed out how a certain interaction between the two makes a *whole* lot more sense in light of the news.
Frazer Harrison / Getty Images
Check out last week's roundup13 Things Celebrities Did This Week — From Hilarious To Heartbreaking Natalie Oganesyan · Jan. 16, 2022
Share This ArticleFacebookPinterestTwitterMailLink