Pop CultureTV & MoviesCelebrityBest of the InternetAnimalsMusicRewindBooksLGBTQ
ShoppingLatestHomeFashionTechBeauty & Personal CareKidsPetsSex ToysSports & FitnessStoresSubscriptionsBuzzFeed Merch
VideoLatestCocoa ButterNEW!Mom In ProgressWorth ItUnsolved True CrimeUnsolved SupernaturalMultiplayerPero LikeCocoa Butter
LifestyleAs/Is: StyleBringMe: TravelGoodful: WellnessNifty: DIYParentsFoodWeddingsSex And LoveNEW!
CommunityWhat is Community?Join Community!Featured PostsLeaderboard
From Our PartnersGreat Vibes, Great AdventureStudy Break TimeLet's Go Back To SchoolHydrow The CurrentSan Diego, Happiness is CallingScience Will WinHoliday Cookie ShowdownIt's Your JourneyLive The Legend
AboutAbout UsAdvertiseInvestor RelationsJobsNewslettersEditionUSUKAustraliaBrasilCanadaDeutschlandIndiaJapanLatamCalifornia residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data.Do Not Sell My Personal Information © 2022 BuzzFeed, Inc PressRSSPrivacyConsent PreferencesUser TermsAccessibility StatementAd ChoicesHelpContactSitemapBuzzFeed NewsReporting on what you care about. We hold major institutions accountable and expose wrongdoing.BuzzFeed TastySearch, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place!BuzzFeed GoodfulSelf care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life.BuzzFeed Bring MeObsessed with travel? Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me!BuzzFeed As IsSomething for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity.Celebrity·Posted 2 minutes ago
16 Celebs Who Have Canceled Events Because Of Their Mental Health
Celebs are learning to put their careers on pause to care for their mental well-being.by Angela Andaloro
Life can be overwhelming sometimes, no matter who you are. It's important to look after your mental health as you deal with the highs and the lows.
1. Celebrities are also starting to publicly reveal that they're taking time off for their mental health, like Shawn Mendes did after recently canceling the remainder of his tour.
Kevin Mazur / Getty Images for Shawn Mendes
He announced the cancellation, in part saying, "The truth is that even with so much success I still find it hard to feel like I'm not failing."Shawn Mendes @ShawnMendes
12:38 AM - 20 Apr 2022Reply Retweet Favorite
@ShawnMendes / Via Twitter: @ShawnMendes
Shawn's not the only celebrity to be honest with fans about having to cancel events over their mental health. Here are some others who did the same.
2. Justin Bieber canceled part of his 2017 Purpose tour to focus on his mental health.
Angela Weiss / AFP via Getty Images
3. Ariana Grande put her tour on hold to care for herself following the attack at her show in Manchester during 2017's Dangerous Woman tour.
Andrew Lipovsky / NBC / Getty Images
4. Kanye West canceled the last leg of his Saint Pablo tour in 2016 after being hospitalized for his mental health.
Frazer Harrison / Getty Images for Coachella
5. Selena Gomez canceled a portion of her Revival world tour in 2016 to seek mental health treatment in relation to anxiety and depression that resulted from her lupus diagnosis.
Axelle / FilmMagic / Getty Images
6. Zayn Malik left a One Direction world tour to manage stress and anxiety away from the spotlight in 2015.
Zak Hussein / Corbis via Getty Images
7. Demi Lovato had to cancel a concert and a game show appearance in 2018 after hospitalization for substance abuse and mental health struggles.
Pedro Fiúza/NurPhoto via Getty Images
8. Simone Biles pulled out of the team event at the Tokyo Olympics after mental health struggles were impacting her performance earlier in the games.
Nathan Congleton / NBC / NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
9. Naomi Osaka withdrew from the French Open in 2021 to prioritize her mental health.
Eurasia Sport Images / Getty Images
10. Kid Cudi has opened up about going to rehab and stepping away from social media at different points of his career to protect his mental health.
View this post on Facebook
Kid Cudi / Via Facebook: kidcudi
11. Pete Davidson has taken time away from his career to get help for his mental health on several occasions.
Dimitrios Kambouris / Getty Images for The Met Museum/Vogue
12. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle took time off after the birth of their son, Archie, during which time they determined they wanted to step away from life as working royals.
Taylor Hill / WireImage / Getty Images
13. Chloe Kim announced her decision to take a year away from competitive snowboarding between the 2022 and 2026 Winter Games to focus on her mental health.
Mark Von Holden / Variety via Getty Images
14. Kit Harington took a year away from acting after Game of Thrones to focus on mental health and well-being.
David M. Benett / Dave Benett / Getty Images
15. Solange canceled European tour dates in 2013, citing mental health struggles.
Mondadori Portfolio / Mondadori Portfolio via Getty Images
16. Ronnie Ortiz-Magro took time off of Jersey Shore in 2021 to seek mental health treatment.
Paul Archuleta / Getty Images
Who are your favorite celebs speaking out about mental health? Share your thoughts in the comments!
The National Alliance on Mental Illness helpline is 1-888-950-6264 (NAMI) and provides information and referral services; GoodTherapy.org is an association of mental health professionals from more than 25 countries who support efforts to reduce harm in therapy.
Share This ArticleFacebookPinterestTwitterMailLink