Pop CultureTV & MoviesCelebrityBest of the InternetAnimalsMusicRewindBooksLGBTQ
ShoppingLatestGift GuidesHomeFashionTechBeauty & Personal CareKidsPetsSex ToysSports & FitnessStoresSubscriptionsBuzzFeed Merch
VideoLatestCocoa ButterNEW!Mom In ProgressWorth ItUnsolved True CrimeUnsolved SupernaturalMultiplayerPero LikeCocoa Butter
LifestyleAs/Is: StyleBringMe: TravelGoodful: WellnessNifty: DIYParentsFoodWeddingsSex And LoveNEW!
CommunityWhat is Community?Join Community!Featured PostsLeaderboard
Gift GuidesAmazing Gifts For EveryoneCovetable Holiday GiftsGifts For Your Entire ListGifts Kids Will Totally LoveTotally Amazing Kitchen FindsUltimate Gifts For KidsGifts To Please Your CrowdSnuggle BundleLast-Minute Holidays BuysBest Gifts For Beauty And StyleUnique Gifts Everyone Needs
From Our PartnersScience Will WinHoliday Cookie ShowdownIt's Your JourneyHey BaeBeauty & Style BuzzHolidays Make Us Feel GoodCalling All Travel LoversLA Living
AboutAbout UsAdvertiseInvestor RelationsJobsNewslettersEditionUSUKAustraliaBrasilCanadaDeutschlandIndiaJapanLatamCalifornia residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data.Do Not Sell My Personal Information © 2022 BuzzFeed, Inc PressRSSPrivacyConsent PreferencesUser TermsAccessibility StatementAd ChoicesHelpContactSitemapBuzzFeed NewsReporting on what you care about. We hold major institutions accountable and expose wrongdoing.BuzzFeed TastySearch, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place!BuzzFeed GoodfulSelf care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life.BuzzFeed Bring MeObsessed with travel? Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me!BuzzFeed As IsSomething for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity.TV and Movies·Posted 18 minutes ago
13 Hilarious Moments From "Don't Look Up" That You Probably Didn't Realize Were Improvised
Honestly, is there anything Meryl Streep can't do???by Angelica Martinez
1. Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill, and Rob Morgan spent two days improvising the first Oval Office scene. The first cut was a whopping 16 minutes long but was, of course, shortened. Some gems like this still made the cut, though:
2. In fact, Meryl improvised a different phone call in that scene for every single take. Here's a behind-the-scenes look at 10 of them:NetflixFilm @NetflixFilm
Meryl Streep improvised a different presidential phone call for ✨ every single take ✨ of the Oval Office scene in DON'T LOOK UP.
Here are 10 of them. https://t.co/inTvpVpBcJ
03:00 PM - 12 Jan 2022Reply Retweet Favorite
3. Jason Orlean's fist bump and comment to Kate in the Oval Office was all Jonah:
4. In fact, a lot of Jason's insults in the movie were improvised by Jonah, according to Jennifer Lawrence:
She told Vanity Fair, "It was really, really hard filming with Jonah and just not ruining take after take just laughing. We one time dedicated an entire day to him just improving insults at me. It was amazing."
5. Leo also improvised the part where Randall started screaming at the camera on a children's TV show:
Director Adam McKay explained that he'd only scripted two lines, and the rest was 100% Leo.
6. Tyler Perry and Cate Blanchett improvised quite a bit in their talk show scenes, including lines like this:
7. This peculiar line Yule's friend asked Kate was also totally unscripted:
8. This line about potatoes was alllll Timothée Chalamet:
The original line was about sweet potatoes, actually.
9. Ariana Grande improvised some lines from her song "Just Look Up," like these:
Adam revealed that it's one of his favorite moments in the film, saying, "The second I heard it, I was like, 'Oh, that's going in the movie.'"
10. The entirety of Jason Orlean's "prayer to stuff" was improvised by Jonah:
11. Leo came up with Randall's very last, heart-wrenching line before the comet hits Earth:
Adam revealed that the idea made him and script supervisor Cate Hardman immediately tear up.
12. Meryl improvised the line about how President Orlean would die, which became the inspiration for the mid-credit scene:
Adam told Variety that after they shot that scene, he got the idea to end the movie with Orlean getting eaten by a Brontaroc. They shot two mid-credit scenes — one where they are fighting over who is going to build houses on the new planet, and the one that made it in the movie.
13. And finally, Jonah improvised part of this post-credits scene too:
Don't forget to watch this star-studded cast in Don't Look Up, streaming on Netflix.
Share This ArticleFacebookPinterestTwitterMailLink
TV and Movies